On Monday nights at the Pottruck Health and Fitness Center, I teach a class called Body Blitz. It's a 1 hour class that alternates between cardio and resistance training. What types of exercises do we do in this class? It's more like what exercises aren't we doing? I love introducing new (and sometimes a bit awkward) exercises to keep things interesting and fresh, while continuing to work the same muscles in new ways. In my head, my participants go home and repeat each week's workout 2 more times throughout the week so they can really perfect the moves! Today I'm sharing with you a 'Body Blitz'-style workout that you can do in your own living room - no equipment necessary!
- Some of the moves in this workout are high-impact. Please feel free to modify the workout to make them low-impact if necessary.
- If you're unsure about any of the movements, check out the videos linked to the name of the exercise or google them before you start the workout. You don't want to lose momentum, stopping after every exercise to look up how to do them.
- The warmup and cardio sections of this workout are designed to do in a set amount of time. This means that you'll work at your maximum level (as hard and as fast as you can) during this part of the workout.
- The resistance training sections of this workout are designed to complete a set amount of reps. Be sure not to rush these movements and perform them in a controlled manner.
- Rest in between sets if needed, but no more than 1 minute!
- Jumping jacks
- Squat jumps (jump out into a squat, about halfway down, then jump back up to standing)
- High knees
- Jump rope side to side (use an imaginary rope, moving both feet together, jumping side to side about 1-2 feet)
- Out & in (jump both feet out, then back in, knees slightly bent)
Resistance Training, SET 1
- Body weight squats - 40 reps at a comfortable pace, then 10 more as fast as you can
- Tricep dips - 20 reps at a comfortable pace, then 5 more as fast as you can
- Lunge/kicks (lunge back, then kick forward with the same foot) - 20 reps each side
- Crab reach - 40 reps total, alternating (20 on each side)
Cardio, SET 1
Resistance Training, SET 2
| || || |
Cardio, SET 2
- Alternating plank reach - 40 total reps (20 each side)
- Side plank hip raises - 25 on each side
- V-sit hold - 30 seconds, 3 reps