We all know that Step Aerobics is my "soulmate" workout, but my Body Blitz class gives me energy in a much different way. For a full hour, we sweat together, we grunt together, we sometimes even laugh together. Each week I try to come up with new and challenging moves, and each week, my participants destroy the workout. Today's Fitness Friday workout is another Body Blitz style workout, guaranteed to get your heart rate up and your energy blazing!
- Some of the moves in this workout are high-impact. Please feel free to modify the workout to make them low-impact if necessary.
- If you're unsure about any of the movements, check out the videos linked to the name of the exercise or google them before you start the workout. You don't want to lose momentum, stopping after every exercise to look up how to do them.
- The warmup and cardio sections of this workout are designed to do in a set amount of time. This means that you'll work at your maximum level (as hard and as fast as you can) during this part of the workout. Sometimes this might mean that you'll slow down, but as long as you're still feeling challenged, you'll benefit from the workout!
- The resistance training sections of this workout are designed to complete a set amount of reps. Be sure not to rush these movements and perform them in a controlled manner. Choose your weights so that you can complete the workout, but it is still challenging for you!
- Rest in between sets if needed, but no more than 1 minute!
- Be sure to stretch at the end of the workout. Check out some post-workout stretches from Health.com.
- Jumping jacks
- Squat jumps (jump out into a squat, about halfway down, then jump back up to standing)
- High knees
- Jump rope side to side (use an imaginary rope, moving both feet together, jumping side to side about 1-2 feet)
- Out & in (jump both feet out, then back in, knees slightly bent)
Resistance Training, SET 1
- Uneven squats - keep your weight evenly distributed between both heels (25 each side)
- Side raise with rotation - brace your abs to keep your torso still (20)
- Abductors with weight behind knee - On your back, put one dumbbell behind each knee. Position your knees over your hips and keep the insides of your feet touching. Open your knees, keeping the insides of your feet touching, then close them, (30)
- Upright row to overhead press (20)
Cardio, SET 1
Resistance Training, SET 2
- Squats with heel lift (30)
- Overhead tricep extension - keep your biceps by your ears and elbows pointing forward (25)
- Standing abductors with weight behind knee - try holding the dumbbell behind your knee (25 each side)
- Bicep circles - With your dumbbells in your hands, bring them up to a half-bicep curl so that your elbows are at a 90-degree angle. Keeping one arm stationary, make small circles with the other hand. Do four circles before moving to the other hand. (15 sets of 4, each side)